November 17, 2013

Lowering My Insulin

 
I had 3 incidents today of low blood sugar (<4.0).  I also had one yesterday and one Friday, so I am going to take a lower dose of insulin tonight and see what happens.  This happened back in June/July, when we were doing the strict Whole 30 Paleo diet.   I got off the insulin completely for a few days (on the advice from the Diabetes Centre).  But then Sarah was here for 3 weeks.  I was still eating pretty well for the most part, but was eating more carbs, in the form of breads and treats.  So, currently, I have been taking 30 units of Lantus long-acting insulin each night.  That is still an improvement from the beginning of the year, when I was taking 60 units each night. 

Tonight Josh's girlfriend had dinner here for the first time.  Sharon is a really sweet girl, and I hope he hangs on to her.  They are both 27 and, I think, looking for someone to settle down with.  They seem to be a really good fit for each other.  Dinner was meatloaf, asparagus and mashed carrots/turnip.

I also finally got to try a recipe to use up some of the pumpkin I had leftover from the smoothies yesterday.  I got a recipe from Paleo Diet Lifestyle for Pumpkin Banana Bread .  It was the first time I have baked with almond flour and coconut flour, and it turned out REALLY good.  I added chopped pecans and raisins to the batter.  It baked while we ate dinner, so we got to enjoy it warm out of the oven with a little bit of butter.  MMMmmm!  :) 

 
I forgot to take a picture before I cut it!
 
I still have some pumpkin and banana left, so am going to make another one tomorrow.  I might make it into muffins, so they will be easy to grab on the run.  I thought I could add some unsweetened coconut and/or a little chopped 85% dark chocolate this time.
 
We had a few things to get at Costco this morning and found out that they now carry coconut flour!  Quite a large bag for $7.99.  I will definitely buy it there if I find I like baking with it.  For now, we just buy small quantities at Bulk Barn.
 
We also stopped at Fabricland to get some fabric for a quilt for Lily.  A couple weeks ago, I finished the afghan I was working on for Emma.
 
 
When they were here in the summer, I asked Lily what kind she would like.  I said I could also sew her a quilt if she would like that better, and she chose that.  The night; before they left to go out east, Sarah slept with the quilt I had made several years ago.  I told her to take it with her.  She likes to wrap up in it when she is not feeling well.  She says it feels like a hug from home.  :)  Lily also likes to cuddle up in it. 
 
I got some gorgeous, bright fabric for Lily's quilt.  I chose a simple pattern and it won't be too large, so I hope I can get it finished to take with us at Christmas.
 
 
The fabric has been washed, so tomorrow will be a cutting day.  I just hope my rotary cutter and mat aren't buried too badly down in the basement!  :S
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment