December 16, 2013

Birthday Brunch

Saturday was my birthday and I got up and made some coffee.  Jim hadn't said anything, so finally I just said, "Happy Birthday Honey!".  I was going to just wait until he remembered, but figured I would just end up getting mad at him. 

Jim hadn't set the alarm, so I just left it.  We woke up around 7:30...too late to get to the group run at 8:00.  That was OK.  I don't think I would have gone anyway.  It was snowing lightly and blowing a bit.  Later, when we were out doing some errands, I was glad.  The snow was slushy and very slippery.  That really scares me.  And, I wouldn't want to fall and hurt myself just before going to Halifax. 

Sunday, we had the family over for a birthday brunch.  One of my sisters was sick, so there were 16 people here.  It was kind of crowded, but we managed to sit everyone down.  I always leave things to the last minute.  And every time I say next time will be different!  Maybe one day I will learn.  So, I was finishing up with setting the table and putting out a few candles when everyone was arriving. 

I made 2 different crustless quiches.  Ham and asparagus with Havarti cheese, and red and green peppers and onions with cheddar cheese.  We also had meatballs in the slow cooker.  I had planned to make homemade, so as to not have wheat fillers, but convenience won because of the time crunch.  Fruit, veggies, gluten-free crackers and cheese.  I also made the Maple Bacon butternut squash casserole that I made recently when we had a turkey dinner.  I tried a new recipe as well:  Pineapple Coconut Slaw, which was really good.

For dessert, I made my own birthday cake!  It was my choice.  I was looking for a paleo-friendly carrot cake recipe and found this amazing looking one.  When I saw the picture, I knew that was the one I had to try!  It certainly wasn't inexpensive to make, with almond flour and cashew butter and a whole slew of other items, but it wasn't very difficult.  I made a few changes by checking on the internet.  It called for 8" pans and I had 9" ones, but saw in the blog comments that another reader had just used 2 of the 9" pans, instead of 3 - 8" ones.  I also used honey instead of agave nectar and butter instead of palm shortening.

One ingredient is coconut butter.  We did find it, but it was around $12 for a small jar, so I didn't get it and thought I would search the internet for a suitable substitute.  It turns out that coconut butter is super simple to make.  I just put 5 cups of coconut in the food processor and let it go, stopping occasionally to scrape the bowl.


 

When it came out of the oven, it looked and smelled pretty good!  I used chopped cashews instead of walnuts for the garnish.  Mine didn't look as pretty as the blog picture, but it tasted good and everyone really liked it!  
  

 
This is getting rather long, but I just have to share what our kids gave us.  This was a gift for my birthday and for both Jim & I for Christmas.  There were 3 envelopes, marked #1, #2 and #3. 
 
 
The first was money for the GO train to Toronto.

 
Next was a gift card for dinner.

 
The third was tickets to see Les Miserables! 

 
I am so excited.  I saw it twice back about 20 years ago, and loved the recent movie.  I really wanted to go to Toronto again, but we really don't have extra money at the moment for theatre tickets.  I was fine with that, but very pleasantly surprised when I opened this gift1 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated Birthday Janice! I usually have to do most of the work on my birthday too :-). Great job on the cake

    ReplyDelete