December 5, 2013

My Angry IT Band

My IT Band does not like me today.  I had a very deep massage on it yesterday, and it has been quite tender all day.  I decided I would go running and play it by ear.  I did the warm ups and started walking up to the corner, where we would start to run.  It was already a little sore walking, but I started to run and right away it hurt.  It is right in the lower glute  I kept going, because often it will kind of work itself out, but soon I started limping and aching all the way down my leg.  Maybe I could have gone further, but I remember reading once that, if a pain is altering your gait, then it is a good idea to stop.  I hate to be a wimp, because I know that I can sometimes be overly cautious, but I thought it better to get this fixed now, before I start training for something.  I have another appointment with the chiropractor tomorrow.  Our massage coverage is just about finished, but we still had $500 to use at chiropractor (by the end of the year), so I figured I might as well take advantage of that. 

Speaking of training, my dear husband has been telling ladies at the running store that I am thinking of running the Niagara Falls Women's Half Marathon on June 1.  Well, I AM thinking about it, but now it is out there!  My friend Sandra put this on my Facebook timeline the other day.

 
I like it, and it is so true.  I remember the very first time I started running.  I think had done my first 5k and I was looking back at my training schedule, reflecting how, back at the beginning, even running for 2 minutes had seemed like it would be impossible.  It was a really good feeling to see how far I had come.
 
It was the same this time around.  My first run in September was 6 repeats of run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute.  It was really hard, but gradually the walking breaks disappeared and the time increased, ending with a 5k last Saturday that took me 49:24.  I will never be fast, but I  know that it will get easier in time.  And, I am hoping that getting some more weight off will also help. 
 
One of the greatest memories I have is when I was training for my first 10k (Ottawa 2009).  On the long run, you get to a point where your legs start to complain and you have to push through.  One particular Sunday, I think my run was 7 or 8 km.  So, we are running along and I got the familiar, "enough is enough" complaint from my legs.  Then it struck me...we were at around the 5k point!!  I had gone what had once been an impossible distance for me before I really had any struggle to keep going! 
 
I made another loaf today that turned out pretty good.  It used coconut flour and had crushed pineapple in it.  I also added some shredded coconut and raisins. 
 
Lily's quilt is finished!  I am very happy with it.  I can't wait to give it to her.
 
 
 
We leave in two weeks, so we are going to have to start thinking about packing.  We are having the family over next Sunday for brunch, for my birthday, so that menu has to be planned and the house cleaned and hopefully decorated a little bit.  (It has been rather neglected while I have been doing this sewing, and I am not the most diligent housekeeper in the first place).  Add in a few dinners and get togethers, and it is going to be a very busy couple of weeks.   
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment