March 28, 2014

11 Weeks and Great Blood Sugar Readings

Our son Josh got the call today from the hospital.  His cancer surgery will be on Thursday, June 12.  That's 11 weeks from yesterday.  Seems so far away, but it is nice to have the date.  They will call him to arrange the pre-op appointment a couple weeks beforehand.  It's scary.  A while back, I googled "thyroid and lymph node surgery".  The doctor had told us where Josh will be cut, but the pictures of peoples' scars really hit me.

After the initial shock of hearing the news on February 10, and then hearing the details from the surgeon, I have been pretty good up until this week.  Everything seems to have come to a head.  I have been really missing the girls, my EI benefits finished a few weeks ago so I really need to get a job, but really not sure what I want and I'm scared about Josh.  Add to that, lack of exercise and not eating well, and Jim back on his noon - 8:30 shift, and the mental health is not good.  I have had a few good "feeling sorry for myself" cries this week.

So, I decided to buckle down again with better eating, and after just a couple days, I am already seeing improvements in my blood sugar readings.

Today

morning:  5.3
2 hrs after breakfast:  4.2
I had a banana because I knew I would be out and busy all morning, so to prevent a low and see how it would affect my BG.

before lunch:  5.3
2 hrs after lunch:  4.7

before supper:  4.9
2 hrs after supper 4.1

When I was doing the paleo Whole 30 last summer, I was having a lot of lows, so I was told I could reduce my evening insulin.  At my last visit to the endocrinologist, she said to cut my Gluconorm dose in half if I am not going to be eating very many carbs at a meal.  I am looking forward to being able to do that!

This was posted on our running store's Facebook group page:


I have a real love/hate relationship with running.  But this is true of me.  When I was working, I would talk a lot about my training or upcoming events, or bragging about my husband and son and their marathons.  I also love to search for fun races with cool medals and can spend hours surfing the 'net.  So I guess there really is a runner in me, but she just goes into hiding sometimes.  And like with my eating, I have to find what works for me.  I can eat paleo, but enjoy a little bit of cheese or other dairy on occasion.  I can run and take walking breaks.  I have learned from experience that walk breaks are actually better for my blood sugars.  With continuous running, I get high spikes.  If I take walk breaks my levels remain more constant, and I sometimes even have to stop to eat/drink something because I go low.  Test, test, test and lots of notes are in order. 

It is a challenge for me to not try to conform to what I think others think I should be and something I know I need to work on.  I am a work in progress!

The weather actually felt spring-like today!  It will be nice to get moving outside!

This Sunday is the Around the Bay 30k road race in Hamilton, Ontario.  Jim and Josh aren't running, but we will be out there cheering on our many friends who are.  The weather forecast is looking good so far!

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. So pleased your blood sugar numbers are improving.

    Will be saying a prayer and sending loads of positive thoughts your way for Josh and all the family.

    Hope the 'Around the Bay Race' was good ...I know Leigh was taking part

    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog via Runs for Cookies - so sorry to hear about your son. A blogger I follow went through thyroid cancer surgery a couple years ago and she came through it very well (Carrie On Vegan) and posted a lot about it. I hope it goes smoothly for your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! Thank you for visiting! It's both exciting and scary when I get comments. I wasn't really sure about doing a blog. Would people really be interested in my life? I often feel like I'm just rambling on and I still want to tweak it a bit. But I love connecting with people from all over. When I start reading a blog regularly, I start to feel like the author is a friend, even though I've never and probably never will meet them. When I saw Katie's magazine articles, I felt like I know a celebrity!

      Thank you for telling me about the Carrie On Vegan blog. I will certainly check it out.

      Delete