April 6, 2014

Oh! What a Beautiful Morning...

What a change from yesterday!  Saturday was cold and windy and just not nice.  This morning, the sun was shining, and although a little chilly at first, promised to be a beautiful day.  It did not disappoint! 

We had to pick up a few things at the grocery store and stopped for a coffee at Tim Horton's afterwards.  There were a few people sitting out on the patio enjoying the sunshine.  I have a feeling those stone benches would have been a little cold on the buns, though! ;)

I had some overripe bananas on the counter, so made some Paleo Banana Bread with them.  I got the recipe from The Civilized Caveman blog.  He has some great recipes there.  The main carbs are from the bananas, but that would be divided between 10-12 slices.  It uses coconut flour, which has 9g carbs per 2 Tbsp., but 6g of fibre, so you only count 3g.  The recipe uses 1/2 cup (8 Tbsp.).  Anyway, it smelled great baking and looked great when it came out of the oven.

 
BUT, when I tried to take it out of the pan, it stuck!! 
 

Oh well, it did taste great.  I had greased the pan with coconut oil.  I guess next time I should used something else.  The recipe said to use your fat of choice, but the blogger did say that he used butter. 

Jim needs to renew his passport, so since it was SO nice out, we decided to walk to Costco for them.  We would get in a nice walk and get the pictures taken.  Two birds with one stone.  I wore the pink jacket that Sarah got me for Mother's Day a couple years ago.  It had always been a little too tight.  Maybe it still is a little, but the buttons weren't pulling like they used to and it felt comfortable.


Ha!  I just noticed Jim's shadow in the picture.  It was really sunny!  :)

It was 4.5 km round trip and I did my 40-second plank when we got home. 

Dinner was not exactly low-carb.  It wasn't horrible, but more carbs than I like to eat.  I saw a "Grandpa's Acadian Meat Pie" at SuperStore.  It was one of the winners in the Recipes to Riches TV show.  I haven't followed it, but I think each week was a different category...appetizers, desserts, etc. and the winner each week got their food put into grocery stores across Canada as a President's Choice product.  There will be a grand prize winner, which I am not sure how it is decided.

So this meat pie was one of the winners and I had to try it to compare to my own.  We only make it at Christmas.  Usually, when you see frozen, pre-made tourtiere, it is made with ground pork, which is the way a lot of French Canadians make it.  But the Acadian way is not ground meat, but cooked until it shreds, kind of like pulled pork, but without the BBQ sauce.  The PC pie was made with pork and chicken.  It was ok, but certainly not as good as the Frigault version.  We use beef, pork and chicken and also put a small amount of cubed potato in it.  My mom started using the chicken when she married my dad as a replacement for the rabbit that my grandmother used.  I am glad I tried it, but don't think I would buy it again.  I'll have to wait for Christmas...my sister could tell you the number of days left! 

1 comment: