April 4, 2014

Walking Naked in Lakeside Park

No walk Thursday, but I got out last evening.  I was looking for the excuse of rain, but although it was overcast, it really didn't look threatening. Or, I think it was another case of the excuses trying to find me.  I really wanted to go out...was going to do it in the afternoon, but then I got hungry, so had some dinner first, and I wanted to be home when Jim called.  Every day, at 5:00pm, just to say hi.  It's usually all of 2 minutes, but it's nice to connect.  And nice that he still wants to call every day, even after 31 years!  <3

I love our location.  We can walk down to the Lake Ontario from our house.  Last night, it was a little chilly, more so near the water, but it was mostly my cheeks that got really cold when I went out the pier. 

 
This is the entrance to Jaycees Park, which is about half a km away from home.

 
This is a memorial in the park for Kristen French, a local girl who was abducted and murdered in 1992, and for all missing children.

 
Pathway through the park.

 
Foot bridge over Martindale Pond, that goes into Port Dalhousie.  This is the location of the Royal Canadian Henley Regatta that hosts rowing teams from all over the world every August.  The World Rowing Championships were held here in 1999.

 
The rowers get out on the water at the beginning of April...

 
even though there is still some ice on the water! 
 

Walking towards the pier.  There were plenty of seagulls around.  My Garmin died about 100m past this point, so the rest of my walk was "naked" (without any technology).  I never use music, but love viewing my route, pace and heart rate (when I am running) on the computer when I get home.

 
One of the lighthouses.  There are two piers.  I am not real sure why the two lighthouses on the same side.  Perhaps something I should find out about.

 
This is the other lighthouse at the end of the pier.
 
 
The end of the pier where I was walking, across from the lighthouses.  If you look on the horizon, you can see the skyline of Toronto.
 

 
Building that houses the antique carousel.  Rides have always been, and always will be, 5 cents.
 
 
The beach.

 
If you are familiar with the rock group Rush, and a song called Lakeside Park, this is it.  Neil Peart is from St. Catharines.  The midway isn't here any more.  Back in the 60's, Jim's parents had the archery concession, and his Uncle Billy had one as well. 
 
 
Heading home.

 
Another foot bridge that leads in to Port.
 
 
It was a nice walk.  When I got home, I went to Gmaps Pedometer to track my route from where my watch died.  The watch measured 2.5 km and I went another 3.5 km after that.  Not bad!  I did some stretches and a 40-second plank!  I am a little stiff today, but it shouldn't take too long to get used to movement again.  I am looking forward to adding a bit of running.  I think I need to find a 5k to sign up for, to keep me focused. 
 
Have a great weekend!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment